We worked with PayScale.com on the “Gen Y on the Job“ study in order to find out the types of jobs Gen Y has, how much they are getting paid, the best cities and companies for them, and more. We started with a survey sample of 500,000 Gen Y workers, collected between July 2011 and July 2012.
“Not only did Millennial Branding help us decide on which areas to focus our data analysis, they also were able to add a level of additional insight as to the “whys” behind what the PayScale data revealed. The package we put together titled “Gen Y on the Job” was PayScale’s most successful this year in terms of media attention. Millennial Branding did a fantastic job pitching the package to media in collaboration with our PR team and in getting the word out via social media. We look forward to working with Millennial Branding in the future.”
Lydia Frank, Consumer Product Marketing Director, PayScale
- Over 63% of Gen Y workers have a Bachelor’s Degree.
- 47% work at companies with under 100 employees.
- Median salary across Gen Y is $39,700.
- The most common majors for Gen Y, relative to other generations, are Neuroscience, Bio-engineering and Entrepreneurial Studies.
- The top five companies for Gen Y are Qualcomm, Google and Medtronic.
- The most commonly reported Gen Y job skills center around online marketing and social media.
- Seattle is the best large metro area for Gen Y workers.
Mainstream media coverage: The research report was launched on August 21st, 2012 and received coverage in over 150 media outlets, including USA Today, CNN TV (Video), CNN Money, TIME, BusinessWeek, HLN, Fox Business, CNBC, Yahoo! Finance, LA Times, Wall Street Journal, Smart Money, Boston Globe, US News & World Report, Forbes, ZDNET, Entrepreneur, Huffington Post, Mashable, San Francisco Chronicle, MediaBistro, Raycom Media and over 70 local TV shows and radio programs.