We worked with Identified.com on a Gen-Y & Facebook research study to better understand how they use Facebook, what companies they’re working for, how long they spent at their first job, and more. We analyzed 4 million Gen-Y (18 to 29-year-olds) Facebook profiles out of a data set of over 50 million. Identified.com is the largest professional database on Facebook.
“We worked on a data and analytics project with Millennial Branding, uncovering and interpreting data on young workers which they turned into an international media campaign. The result was a tremendous amount of media attention for Identified which helped position us in our space.”
- Eliza Walsh, Director of Technical Content, Identified
- Gen-Y is connected to an average of 16 co-workers and nearly 700 friends on Facebook.
- Only 7% work for a Fortune 500 company.
- They leave their first job in just over two years.
- “Owner” is the fifth most popular job title.
- 80% list at least one school entry on their profiles, while only 36% list a job entry.
- The US Military is the largest Gen-Y employer overall.
- The travel and hospitality industry hires the most Gen-Y candidates.
Mainstream media coverage: The research report was launched on January 9th, 2012 and received coverage in 70 media outlets, including The Wall Street Journal, Fortune Magazine, TIME, Mens Health Magazine, Forbes, MSNBC, CBS News, The Globe And Mail, Psychology Today, Inc. Magazine, San Francisco Chronicle, The Huffington Post, Yahoo! Shine, About.com, Marketing Profs, The Daily Mail, Chicago Tribune, Miami Herald, Fox Business, Human Resource Executive, Portfolio, AOL Jobs, and many more.
Social media coverage: The report was covered on Mashable.com, BusinessInsider.com, AMEX’s OpenForum.com, TheNextWeb.com, AllFacebook.com, MarketingPilgrim.com, and YPulse.com. It was tweeted over 5,000 times and shared on LinkedIn and Facebook over 1,000 times. Our popular infographic was used by several outlets including Forbes and Mashable.